Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Our Big Boy

Yesterday I took Jack to get his third haircut ever.  In just over two months, it had gotten unbelievably long!  I suppose now I'll have to get used to getting it cut more regularly, since it seems to be growing at normal adult speed now, rather than at the old man speed it had in his haircut-free first year and a half of life.  At any rate, I don't think I ever posted pics of his first two haircuts, so here's a retrospective.

That first haircut was by far the best.  It grew out very well.  The last one got a little scraggly by the end, and I think this one will, too.  
Or it could just be Jack's hair changing.  Unfortunately I think he's inherited my wavy and Ben's thick hair.  It would be a beautiful combination when kept long on a little girl but is not so easy to deal with when trying to do a short boy's do.  Just ask Uncle Tyler who has dabbled with a Jack Osborne puff and a #2 cut, with very little in between because he's got similar hair.

This afternoon while I was folding laundry in his room, Jack pulled the Huggies box over to his crib and started climbing into it again.  I was thrilled because he was interested enough in doing that that he let me record a clip.  

He even did a nice zoom in to the camera before performing his party trick.  As a side note, the "uh-huh" he gives me at the end has finally, finally replaced that maniacal laugh he used to use as an affirmative answer.  We're still working on getting a "yesh" instead of more ambiguous responses.


After recording the video, however, the ask-Momma-or-Daddy plan upon which I had been relying started to go awry.  At one point Jack flung his leg over the outside of the crib rail, pulled himself up, and was straddling it like a rocking horse.  I'm very glad this happened while I was playing with him, not while he was resisting a nap.

Needless to say, I spent part of the afternoon converting the crib to a toddler bed.  Careful long-term readers might recall that on several occasions this crib has given me much time-consuming trouble--specifically any time I've had to reassemble or otherwise take a tool to it, as in when I had to lower the mattress twice in the span of a week or two.  

So, unceremoniously, Jack's crib became his big boy bed this afternoon.  It was only after I had disassembled the rails that I discovered that the bed rail I had picked up so forward-thinkingly a few weeks ago is too large to fit toddler beds.  Hmmm... issue.  Thus, the featherbed that Ben and I have not been able to use for the past month and a half (because it's been surrounding Jack's crib due to the then more theoretical possibility of Jack trying to jump out) is not yet ready for repurposing.  And it's been supplemented by a few extra pillows just in case.

I'm hoping to only be woken up a half dozen times by a startled little boy falling out of bed or wandering into our room.  He was very tired by the time he crawled into that rail-less bed, which I'm hoping will help reduce wakeups, even if he should fall out.  (Please, please, please follow Kaia's lead and roll out of bed only once and without waking!)  So far he's logged three hours in the bed with not a peep, and he's still actually in bed!  Here's to hoping for another solid 9.

1 comment:

M&A said...

What a cool place to get a haircut! Think they'd do mine? =)