Sunday, January 31, 2010

Jack's Take on Graham's Motivations

As I was reading Jack his bedtime story tonight, Graham developed a serious case of the "wiggles." (Calling them wiggles seems a bit disingenuous, and even "kicks" is fairly tame; this little boy, just like his big brother, is a dynamo in utero! It's more like double back flips with a jab to the ribs as a chaser.) Jack, who was leaning back on me started feeling Graham's movements, so I asked if he wanted to feel Graham moving with his hands. Jack's hands reached my belly just in time for a big leap, and he burst out laughing, saying, "He's trying to jump out! Graham is trying to give me a kiss, but he's still in your belly!" His joy was adorably contagious.


Preschool is going very well. Jack seems to love it, both of us are meeting lots of new friends, and I'm finding out just how much I can get done in 2 1/2 hours without having to pull Jack in and out of his carseat at every stop. It's amazing to me that he comes home singing songs I've never heard and having read books I didn't read to him.

Also amazing me last week was when we were driving back from a downtown visit to Ben and Jack pointed to a road saying, "That's where Miss Kelly and Uncle Stephen's school is!" And he was right! Let me also specify that not only was the law school not visible from the turnoff, not only had even I forgotten exactly which turnoff it was, not only was there no sign to tip him off, but Jack had only been there once! When I asked how on earth he remembered that, Jack matter-of-factly told me that he had gone there with Miss Kelly and they threw pennies in the fountain but that the bookstore had been closed.

In other news, potty training seems to be pretty well finished. Hip, hip, hooray! Jack has not worn diapers or pullups since Christmas, not even at night! Though he's still having about two accidents a week at home, he's only had one at school. I cannot describe how incredibly nice it is to have even a few months' break from changing diapers! Now I just have to get geared up to go back to the 8-12 a day pace of a newborn... I'm so glad Ben has six weeks paternity leave!

No comments: