Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Why I'm Glad I Have Sons

1. That time I was at the park and overheard five 5 or 6 year old girls fighting. "We're not playing with Stephanie anymore, so just ignore her." Boys don't do that kind of dirty emotional damage to one another, at least not so cruelly or so often.


2. Setting the scene: Same park. Hot morning. Just leaving after an hour or so of playing. Graham's already strapped into his carseat and is crying, having suffered the injustice of being removed from my nipple at a time he deemed premature (okay, buddy, I cut you off when you're sleeping and only waking up to suck as I'm trying to detach you from my chest--that's no longer eating in my book). I walk back up the sidewalk to hold hands with Jack, who had been going for one more slide while I got Graham into the car.

Jack turns to me and says, "I need to pee, Momma!" I cringe. The bathroom's all the way across the playground, and getting there would involve at least 5 minutes and the hassle of getting Graham out of the carseat and into a sling. I only had the complicated Moby wrap with me, which I love but takes five times as long as every other sling to put on. Then there's the difficulty of helping Jack balance on an insanely dirty park toilet seat (seriously, why are they all so much more disgusting than any other public place?) that's far to big for him, all the while trying not to crush Graham against me.

Me: "We're going to the grocery store right now. Can you wait until we get there?"
Jack: "No. I really need to use the potty."

I thought for a (brief) second (made briefer because we've had several accidents in the past week, after months of no problems), did a quick look around and told Jack he was going to learn to pee standing up. No trees anywhere nearby, so he went right in the parking lot so that we wouldn't have to get Graham out. Jack hasn't stopped talking about it, though I've repeatedly reminded him that we only pee outside in emergencies. Still, good tool to have. Can't do that with daughters. I think I've resigned myself to being a boys' momma.

1 comment:

Family Snodgrass said...

Haha! That's so funny that he hasn't stopped talking about it...I can totally see Andrew being the same way. He recently got a skinned knee, and even though it is completely healed now, we discuss his knee several times a day.