Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Three Cheers!



First cheer for Graham, who rolled over for the first time this morning! We were all playing downstairs and decided it was tummy time. Jack loves to do tummy time, too, so he laid down on Graham's left side. Graham then turned with his whole body to look at Jack and was already halfway over, so Jack and I encouraged him to look even further up, and Graham rolled right over! It was amazing, as he had never shown any interest in rolling over before and isn't crazy about tummy time so hasn't done much of it. Immediately after the first time he rolled over, I tried to get Graham to do it again on video. Jack was too impatient to let Graham roll over himself, so the following video ensued. Rest assured it was not a fluke event, as Graham rolled over again later this morning while our friends Emily and Milo were over.

Second cheer for Jack, who did a fantastic job as ringbearer in my cousin Julie's wedding last weekend. They even had him carry *the real rings* (!) on the pillow, a prospect that really scared me when I first heard they were planning on it.

We rode the train to Nonna and Pops' house, which Jack loved. There was even a very nice conductor who came over to talk with us for about 10 minutes. Hilariously, Jack was so starstruck that he lost all ability to communicate. He started taking things out of our bag to show to the conductor and could only manage one-word descriptions.
Meanwhile, I was trying to demonstrate to Jack how he could ask questions of the conductor, who turned out to be excessively chatty with me. Thus for about 10 minutes our conversation went roughly like this:

Jack: (pulling out a book) Book!
Momma: So did you have to go to school for a long time to become a conductor?
Jack: Pretzels!
Conductor: Actually, yes. I went to Choo Choo U
Jack: Peanut butter!
Conductor: for about two months up in Wilmington
Jack: iPhone!
Conductor: Delaware. Out in Kansas, Johnson County Community
Jack: Sling!
Conductor: College has an associate's degree railroad science program
Jack: Breastfeeding cover!
Conductor: but I didn't want to go to school for that long, so I haven't done that.

Third cheer for both Jack and Graham who finally managed to take coordinated naps for the first time in a long time, allowing me to write this post. Graham's been resisting naps of late, and he's had a couple of two-wake nights recently, but he's still a fantastic sleeper. About two weeks ago he even managed to go from 9 p.m. until 6 a.m.! My baby can sleep through the night. I didn't think I'd be saying that until at least 6 months from now.
Graham at Julie's wedding
Jack playing the trumpet noisemaker favors that Dustin and Julie handed out at the wedding. I think everyone slightly regretted about 5 minutes after Jack got hold of it.

No comments: