Tuesday, February 5, 2008

A Week of Learning

Jack has developed a ton of new skills this week.  It's seriously been one of the most amazing developmental weeks in a long time.  And all of this despite his injury and a yucky cold that kept him down all weekend.  Friday morning at about 1 a.m. Jack developed yet another one of his unfortunately frequent high fevers.  Every time I checked from then until Sunday afternoon, his temperature was above 101, and it spiked up to over 103.  His accompanying stuffy nose kept him from sleeping well all weekend--Ben and I took shifts sleeping with Jack--but it's finally started to clear up for good this afternoon.


I was terrified that he was developing an infection in his toe.  But an NHS doctor assured me that it looked fine.  And he added as a parting comment that I needed to make sure and look after myself as well.  I'm pretty sure there are notes on Jack's file saying that I'm a hypochondriac about my baby and that I'm teetering on the brink of a nervous breakdown.  Last time I went to that doctor's office, I said that Jack wasn't sleeping and he sounded like he was in pain.  The doctor I saw that day told me that 1) you can't tell whether a baby's in pain based on the way he cries, and 2) no babies sleep and that if I ever talked to other mothers I would know both of those things.  I was highly insulted as I do, in fact, talk to other mothers and 1) every single one of them has scoffed at the doctor's statement about not being able to distinguish pained cries, and 2) all their babies wake up at most 3-4 times a night, still worthy of complaint (say your baby wakes up 1-2 times a night and you'll get absolutely no sympathy from me), but not like Jack.  I like Dr. Hay better--I just wish he wasn't so hard to get in to see on short notice.

On the sleep front--knock on wood--Jack has made great strides.  Before his injury last Wednesday, Jack had started going to sleep very easily and slipping back into sleep quickly.  He was still waking up 5 times or more a night, but he was causing less fuss.  Sometimes I was able to leave his room after only a minute or two after just laying him down and without even patting him on the back!  That wasn't true every night, and he was having at least one wake a night that was longer and louder even than before, but it still seemed like progress.  Tonight he has resumed that pattern of going to sleep immediately, and so far he's been asleep for over 3 hours straight with no waking!

On Thursday Jack started waving.  His first wave was to Kaia as she and Stacy were leaving after a pre-dinner quick catch-up.  At times his "wave" looks more like he's shaking his fist, though, and only his smile indicates he's not angry!  
On Sunday Jack added a semi-regal looking wave to one of his favorite activities--trying to push his stroller--and I was able to snap a picture of it.  
Ben thinks Jack's desire to push his stroller indicates he's ready for a little brother or sister.  I'm thinking he may have to wait a while.

The wave also occasionally morphs into and out of a modified version of pointing that also just started this week.  I say modified because instead of using his index finger to point the thing he wants or is interested in, Jack uses his entire fist.  But as usual, his actions leave no doubt about what he wants.

Sometime on Friday Jack went from mostly saying "mamamamama" and "dadadadadada" to also saying "nananananana," 
a development my mom, Jack's Nonna, is thrilled about.  None of his sounds are real first words yet, because he doesn't seem to connect the sounds to any meaning--for instance he has used "nana" to indicate everything from his banana to the humidifier to the trash can--but it's still exciting to hear.

Also sometime on Friday Jack and I were listening to a James Taylor CD, and Jack started shaking his Cheerio container along to the beat!  Who knows whether or not that was intentional, but he seemed to be enjoying himself and for once was content to play with the container without having some Cheerios in hand.

Today Jack finally started to develop a concept of putting things into containers.  Taking things out has been a favorite pastime for several weeks now, but finally things are starting to go back in again.  Not where they're supposed to be, but I expect we'll be working on that for approximately the next decade.

Monday we went back to the doctor to have Jack's toe looked at again, and he said it's fine.  The bandage is off and it doesn't seem to be hurting him much at all.  Thursday, the day after his
accident, I was determined that Jack should have a day of rest.  It was storming outside, so it looked perfect for a sleepy, cookie-baking day.  Jack didn't seem to think this was a good idea.  I hid his walker behind the curtains, thinking that it would be best if he stayed off his feet as much as possible.  Not only did Jack find the walker, but when I took it away again, he started climbing the curtains.  Literally.  Somehow I don't think this is going to slow down his march toward independent walking. 

1 comment:

Nonna said...

Is that big boy actually standing on the arm of the loveseat? Wow!
Of course he is saying Nonna and thinking of me. He misses me, he knows I would give him a banana and he remembers I put things in the waste can.
love, Nonna