Monday, October 8, 2007

Trial post

Last August, my dad astutely pointed out that as of April 13, 2007, I am no longer Jessica. For the foreseeable future (and then some) I am now "Jack's mom." This morning I was thinking yet again about how I need to restart journaling so that I can remember little moments in Jack's life, when I realized that this would be the perfect opportunity for a blog. I can't promise regular updates, but I guarantee I'll post to it more often than I put pictures up on Snapfish. Maybe this will get me more in gear on that, too. Uh, but probably not.

Jack is finally getting over the awful virus that he came down with last Tuesday. We went to Dr. Hay (our normal pediatrician) this afternoon (finally), and had a very nice visit. My OB, Dr. Erskine, recommended Dr. Hay by saying, "I especially like him--he's very gentle." She's so good. I can't possibly think of a better way to describe him. He's a super-friendly expert with children whose only grandchild, a 3 year old boy, still lives in South Africa, a fact I just learned today. The way he talked about his grandson I couldn't help but think about Pops and how he glows at the thought of Jack.

At any rate, Jack's much better, his antibiotics (which I was chagrined to learn were probably unnecessary, making me one of those bad moms whose fear leads to stronger viral strains that make all of us worse off) will be gone by tomorrow morning, so we may venture out to mom and baby yoga with Stacy and Kaia.

Little progress to report on the food front. He ate almost a whole banana this morning, but he's refusing most foods other than bananas, apples, and sweet potatoes mixed with copious amounts of breastmilk. I've tried mixing other foods in with his favorites, but the only others he'll even consider so far are zucchini and sometimes butternut squash. Plums and avocados were definite no-gos, and when I tried to feed him parsnips he looked at me like I was nuts. The grandfatherly peanut gallery has already been heard from on the wisdom (or lack thereof) of feeding Jack parsnips, so I can do without repeats of those comments. Carrots are on tap for trial later this week.

This post has set the bar a little high--most of my posts won't be nearly this long--but I had a little time now and wanted to get off to a good start. Miss you all.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

You tried to give him PARSNIPS?!?!?!?!?

M&A said...

What a wonderful idea! I will be visiting often. Say hi to my baby for me - I miss you all!

Nonna said...

Wow!!! I love this. What a beautiful baby in that adorable photo. Love you guys.

Liane Willey said...

I personall love parsnips, so I say good for Jack's mom for trying to teach them of their lovely flavor. Gald to have the updates. And Jack is more than adorable. Love, Auntie Liane

Liane Willey said...

Oh for crying out loud. Some people need to learn to preview their post before posting!

Pops said...

What Ben said!

Stacy (aka Kaia's mum!!) said...

I love the fact that I can read about him here, then pop round after to chat about it: see you soon neighbour!!!!

Love Stacy & Kaia (one of Jack's girlfriends)

xx

ps tried lumpy food with Kaia today and she chucked up EVERYWHERE!!! Oh joy!